KIP History and Goals
Two-way Immersion programs were started more than 20 years ago in Canada. Since then, 18 states have developed such programs with California taking the lead. Districts in California with Two-way Immersion programs include Alum Rock, Barstow, Cabrillo, Capistrano, Culver City, Davis, Healdsburg, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Pomona, Redwood City, Saddleback, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Monica-Malibu, Valley Center, Windsor, and Woodland.
SFUSD Korean/English Two-way Immersion was started in September 1994 by a group of parents, educators, and advocates wanted to bring the benefits of two-way immersion to the Korean community in San Francisco.
The goals of the program are to:
• develop strong English language skills (reading, writing and speaking)
• develop strong Korean language skills (reading, writing and speaking)
• meet all the SFUSD core curriculum requirements
• foster an appreciation for both languages and cultures
• promote high levels of self esteem and positive cross-cultural attitudes